Your Successful Middle School Band Program
About this Webinar –
While we feature many NPD Webinars that address important topics in teaching band, the webinar focuses on the intermediate grades. This webinar identifies the challenges of teaching middle school band and provides real-world solutions. The webinar includes the following topics:
- How teaching middle school band differs from high school
- Classroom Management
- The Daily Warm-up
- Criteria to Consider in Literature Selection
- Successful Structure and Pacing of the Rehearsal
- Developing Student leadership
- Sight-reading in the middle grades
- Expectations of Home Practice
- Considerations of Preparing Students for High School
- The band as part of the school community
- Festivals and Travel
- How to Build Parent Support
- Hot Tips
Our Presenters –
- Paul Holzen – a retired band director of 30 years, last directed the band at Parkway Central Middle School. Currently serves as a Road Representative and Clinician for Nottelmann Music. – Full Bio – Email Paul
- Larry Johnson – currently grades 4-8 band director at St. Joseph School, St. Charles, MO. Also serves as jazz band director at St. Dominic High School, O’Fallon MO. – Full Bio – Email Larry
- Steve Owen – a retired band director of many years, mostly at Oakville Middle School and Bishop Dubourg High School. – Full Bio – Email
To gain the most benefit, please follow these suggested steps:
Step One – Download the Note Page
Prepare to either type your notes into the Word.doc or Google Doc and save the changes, or write in your notes by hand into a printed copy.
Step Two –
As you view the webinar, we encourage you to take notes as you go along. Feel free to stop the recording and rewind as needed.
Step Three – Download the Action Plan Template
Choose either format; Word Doc or Google Doc. After considering the key points that you wish to implement, describe the point in the ACTION BOX select a date for the initial implementation. Then, select a date that you plan to review and assess the success of the implementation.
Step Four –
An 80% score or better will result in a Certificate of Completion emailed to the address you provide. Those scoring less than 80% will be allowed to retake the quiz. In order to do so, you’ll need to register in the quiz with an alternate email.
Step Five – Review the Follow-up Links and Materials Below
The following is from NPD Webinars:
The following are from The Nottelmann Blog:
The following are important links to materials or topics discussed in the webinar: